Residents in Las CrucesNM are getting used to making the top of many lists in media outlets from around the country.RelocateAmerica.com has now named Las Cruces the number 3 city for their top 10 recovery cities in its 13th year of naming the top places in America to relocate.The top recovery list focuses on areas that have a strong economic base and are poised to grow in the future.The Las Cruces economy has long laid its hat on agriculture, where Las Cruces produces world famous chile, onions, and has become one of the top producing regions in the world for pecans.The national defense and space industry has been a big contributor to a strong economy and only looks to grow as space travel changes from a government program to the private sector, thanks to Spaceport America.New Mexico State University has been educating New Mexicans and other students from around the world.The continued growth of NMSU has solidified the local Las Cruces economy for years.On top of the strong economy the word is out on Las Cruces!The great weather and low cost of living have brought retirees and people looking for a higher quality of life to the region.
On top of being number 3 on the top 10 recovery cities from relocateamerica.com,Las Cruces was also named as 1 of the 100 top places to live in 2010. Our small, friendly community is poised for growth in the coming years.This is a great time to relocate to Las Cruces and Mesilla New Mexico!
Interested in Relocating to Las Cruces? For Information Click Here
Organ credits its founding to tale of a lost gold mine. In 1849, Juan Garcia, a prospector searching for the Lost Padre Mine, established the first mine in the Organ Mountains. He soon sold the mine to Hugh Stephenson. In ten years, Stephenson mined it for $90,000 worth of silver and lead. By the 1880s, mines like the Modoc and the Torpedo were removing silver, lead, and copper from the Organ Mountains. On February 26, 1885, the town of Organ was established. It had a population of 200, two general stores, seven saloons, a Catholic church, a schoolhouse, and a baseball team. Organ's glory days ended in the early 1900s when prices for lead and silver began to fall. (Courtesy of The Branigan Cultural Center)
Located on a major trade route dating back to the Camino Real, Las Cruces supported an array of business. Prussian immigrant Henry Lesinsky prospered as a general mercantile. Other family members moved into the area as well. Julius Freudenthal, Lesinsky's cousin, ran a freight company, store and hotel. Nestor Armijo's involvement in the Santa Fe trade, mining and livestock made him a millionaire. With his new wealth, he built the fine home that still stands near downtown. Martin Amador started his business career working in his mother's store. He later built a successful freight business and a landmark hotel. In the 1850s, German native John May opened the Rio Grande Hotel, a grocery, and a dry goods store. Others found fortune as military contractors, providing the area military forts with supplies and grain. (Information Courtesy of Branigan Cultural Center)
Appeared in the September 2009 Real Estate Gazette. Read Here.
The railroad brought new building materials and styles to Las Cruces. When the county seat moved from Mesilla to Las Cruces, a new, two-story brick Italianate courthouse was built in 1883. (It was demolished in 1938.) New building materials arriving by train allowed for frame construction. Hip-roofed houses on broad lawns set the new neighborhood apart from the traditional one-story adobe and territorial style homes in the original town site. These new styles were most apparent in the varied architecture of the Alameda Depot Historic District. Architect Henry Trost designed some of the finer homes in the Alameda district in the early 1900s.
Las Cruces Courthouse. Built in 1883. All history thanks to the Branigan Cultural Center
First appeared in the August 2009 Issue of the Real Estate Gazette, Click here to read.
Founding of Las Cruces The site for the new American town lay six miles south of Doña Ana near a stand of crosses marking the graves of travelers and soldiers. The landmark crosses gave the town its name - Las Cruces. In 1849, U.S. Army surveyors lead by Lieutenant Delos Bennett Sackett divided Las Cruces into 84 blocks. They used a rawhide rope as a measure and reserved one block each for a church and a cemetery. After the survey, family leaders drew lots to determine which property they would own. (Information Courtesy of the Branigan Cultural Center)